Saturday, February 6, 2010

Drawing as meditation

I may have mentioned here before that drawing has a meditative allure for me. Prior to a couple of years ago, the thought of spending hours and hours on a detailed drawing would have not appealed. I am normally someone who likes results fairly quickly.

However once I started drawing, it became less about the result and more about the process. When I draw now, I slip into that timeless state where all I am focused on is that line, that scribble, that tone compared to the next. There is no room for any fearful thoughts, any second-guessing, it is all about that one mark with the pencil at a time. I guess it is what Eckhart Tolle calls the Now.

I have been working very very hard finishing off a work project so I can start a 5 week contract with another company on Monday, so last night I was feeling burnt out, tired and exhausted. That is when I reached for my pencils and started this horse. That continued all morning and I got so lost in time that when I finally questioned why my children were constantly coming to me with food they had "hunted" from the pantry, I looked at my watch and realised it was long past their lunch time and actually into nap time.

But I can tell you now, that I feel refreshed and invigorated, my brain feels inspired work-wise once more, and my drawing meditation has done its work. Perhaps it is this same state that Tibetan monks enter when they create those beautiful sand mandalas .
This morning, we were also repeatedly visited by a stunning monarch butterfly who graciously enabled me to get close enough to take 149 photos. Here are two of my favourites. I really would like a macro lens and explore photography further.
Wherever you are reading this, and whoever you are, I hope that you have your form of slipping into this present state, because it truly is the best.

1 comment:

netty said...

It is a wonderful place to be when you are lost in your art, I can relate too, lol, and my kids do the same ..... Time flies... Your drawing is really beautiful, lovely tones and depth!!!

Annie.